Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This Is Your Career

1. What is your age?
26
2. Where do you live?
Fort Wayne, IN
3. What do you like to do outside of work?
Watch NFL and college football, fish, be outside, spending time with my friends.
4. What is your job title?
Landscape Architect
5. When and why did you choose your career path?
I chose this because I enjoy being outdoors and designing outside spaces.  I chose this career field as a senior in high school.
6. What is the name of your company or employer?
Cornerstone Landscape Group
7. Describe your primary duties and skills. [Cite your source(s)]
Working with building architects, surveyors, and engineers, landscape architects help determine the best arrangement of roads and buildings. They also collaborate with environmental scientists, foresters, and other professionals to find the best way to conserve or restore natural resources
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos039.htm
8. Describe your physical work environment.
Outdoor sites ranging from resedential backyards up to city streets and commercial offices.
9. What is your favorite part of your job?
Working outside, working hands on, as well as being able to show off my accomplishments. 
10. What is your salary? [Cite your source(s)]
$114,000  http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=landscape+architect&l1=+IN
11. Which accredited school did you first attend, and what was your degree? [Cite your source(s)]
I first attended Texas Tech University and graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Landscape Architecture.
http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/courses/LARC.php
12. Describe in detail three of the courses that you took which are closely related to your current career. [Cite your source(s)]
2308 Computer-Aided Design in Landscape Architecture, 3402. Master Planning, 2404. Landscape Architecture Grading and Drainage
 http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/courses/LARC.php  
13. Describe the two courses that you considered most challenging. [Cite your source(s) and include a course listing from the appropriate degree program]
4101. Proposal Writing in Landscape Architecture, 4302. Environmental Planning for Sustainable Development 
http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/courses/LARC.php
14. What resources did your school have available to help you get through the most difficult courses? [Cite your source(s)]
They had advanced CAD programs that made the tough task of drawing plans, very easy.
http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/courses/LARC.php
15. Regarding the two most challenging courses, how did you persevere?
I knew that the payoff would be worth it so it was easy to keep pushing through the hard times.
16. From what school(s) did you receive graduate degrees? [Cite your source(s)]
Purdue University
http://www.ag.purdue.edu/hla/la/Pages/default.aspx
17. What was the title or titles of the degree(s)? [Cite your source(s)]
Landscape Architecthttp://www.ag.purdue.edu/hla/la/Pages/default.aspx
18. What licenses do you have and what were the exams required to receive those licenses? [Cite your source(s)]
Almost all States require landscape architects to be licensed, which generally requires a degree in landscape architecture from an accredited school, work experience, and a passing score on the Landscape Architect Registration Exam.
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos039.htm
19. How would your clients and co-workers describe you?
I am a very fun and light hearted guy, but know when to be serious and proffesional.
20. What do you hope to accomplish at the conclusion of your career?
To be a successful businessman and be able to have a positive relationship with many community members through my services.
21. Why should a high school student consider a career in your field? What important contribution(s) can they make?
This career has many different rewarding aspects.  The challenges that you will face will make you a better problem solver and stronger buisness person.

Conclusion
1. You described a career related to civil engineering and/or architecture. Is this the career field that you are currently most interested in at this stage in your life?
No, right now I think that I am more interested in something to do with chemical or electrical engineering. 
2. Rank and describe the three most important characteristics that you value in choosing a post-secondary school.
First of all the school must be accredited.  Second it must offer the correct courses that I need to prepare me for my actual job.  The last one is that I fit well with the campus and its surroundings.
3. Rank the following in the order of importance to you regarding a career: job satisfaction; salary; making a difference; level of responsibility; titles; benefits; hours; co-workers; supervisors. How will a career in civil engineering or architecture satisfy the factor that you ranked highest?
1st - Job Satisfaction
2nd - Level of Responsibility
3rd - Salary
If I have the job of a landscape architect, then I will be able to satisfy both myself as well as the people who use my services. 

No comments:

Post a Comment